Saturday, January 5, 2019

Psychosclerosis

The anthropologist Ashley Montagu coined the word "psychosclerosis": the hardening of the attitudes.  What a perfect description!  As I get older, I feel this crustiness more easily begin to encroach on my heart. Drs. Les and Leslie Parrott have some suggestions for avoiding this dreaded disease in marriage:


1)  Look for the positive
2)  Refuse to be a victim
3) Give up grudges
4)  Give yourself and your marriage some grace

I would like to add "play together" to this list.  I found these mugs which describe us perfectly AND made us smile.  Having fun together, even planning to play, quickly gets lost in grocery shopping and bill paying and replacing the AC unit and all of the other things that life throws at us.  And that's when "psychosclerosis" sets in most easily.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."  Proverbs 17:22

No comments: