Monday, August 12, 2013

Honiara Woman's Daybook

Just for today...Monday, August 12
 
Outside my window...a rhinoceros beetle clinging to the chair on the porch.  We call them kolomiro.  The kids in the village like to tie a piece of fishing line to the beetle's leg and swing it around.  It makes a buzzing noise.
 
 
On my bookshelf..."The Hidden Art of Homemaking" by Edith Schaeffer thanks to a bloggy friend's suggestion
 
A heart of thankfulness...for slow and expensive internet.  We've been told that the cheapest rate going is about US $80 for 1 GB.  But the expense is worth it to be able to stay in touch across the ocean.
 
Listening to...the glorious ceiling fan on high.  It's a luxury I won't have in the village, so I'm really enjoying it now.
 
Noticing God's glory...bougainvilla growing over the fence and dipping it's beautiful flowers to touch our porch rail.
 
 
Praying...for Ezekiel and Simon.  They specifically asked people in America to pray for a growth in Simon's left abdomen that is causing him pain and for Ezekiel's wife Janet (a sweetheart!) who is generally bad health, especially her legs.  Ezekiel also has a son, Bolton, who will be taking his Form 6 exams in October.  This is a HUGE deal, most people don't make it this far in school.
 
One of my favorite things...comments on the blog.  I post because this is our family's scrapbook.  But when I'm on this side of the world, I really love the interaction with people from around the globe!
 
From the learning rooms...we start back to school on Wednesday with fun things like the video "Conquest of America", "Columbus" by Ingri & Edgar Parin D'Aulaire, "The Discovery of the Americas" by Betsy & Giulio Maestro, "A Coloring Book of Great Explorers" by Bellerophon, and "Around the World in a Hundred Years:  From Henry the Navigator to Magellan" by Jean Fritz
 
Pondering these words... "Chaos is the score upon which reality is written."  ~Henry Miller
 
Crafting in the kitchen...we were supposed to have Icelandic cream horns for lunch, but I'm still unpacking, so leftovers will fill up our tummies instead.  Tonight, some of our SITAG colleagues have invited us to supper at their house.  They have the cutest little girl!
 
Planning for the week ahead...picking up colleagues at the airport tomorrow morning and hosting them for supper tomorrow night to celebrate a 15th birthday, beginning school Wednesday, hosting another birthday for a colleague Thursday night, squeezing in a trip to a plant nursery (and a Lavukal friend) so my porch doesn't look so bare
 
A peek into my world...someone set a cassava scraper on our porch before we arrived.  We use the maio to prepare cassava pudding, and I plan to be using it very soon.
 


7 comments:

Bartokhound said...

I love the kolomiro game. If only lightning bugs had longer legs, we could have light sabres! :-)

As always, thank you for sharing your corner of the world with us. The mention of the Icelandic desserts causes me to remember Aaron and Sarah's sweet gesture of making the Icelandic crullers in our kitchen for Christopher Yee's Junior Recital. So yummy, although I'm not sure which I enjoyed more: the sweet goodness of the dessert or seeing the sweetness of a Daddy jumping into full swing in the kitchen with his beautiful and creative daughter. Of course I know which I enjoyed more! Why did I say that?! :-)

Love,

Kayla

Anonymous said...

Okay, that settles it! I'm going to make it a priority to comment on your blog more often. I enjoy it so very much and am grateful for the ways it allows me to keep track of the whole family; the least I can do is let you know I'm keeping track of you. You are loved and followed, my darling sister. I'm there in spirit pretty much every day, hoping to see more news about your everyday life. Loving the recent posts about how things have been since your return to Honiara.

Love,
Liss

Steve, Joanna, Elizabeth, Noah, & Emma said...

So good to see you guys getting plugged back in! Got caught up on things over the past few days. Fiji?!? Really?! You need to be thanking God for Sarah's prayer! :) Aaron ... brother, it was so good to catch up a little before you left. While it was only 10 minutes or so in a church foyer, I'm thankful God gave us those moments. Joanna and I love your family and will be praying you through, keeping up with how He's working in and through you. Keep blogging and facebooking.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Joanna, I love your posts from around the world! Your cheerful spirit makes everything sound like a fun adventure :D I'm so curious about the rhinocerous beetle and the sound it would make!

Icelandic cream horns sound delicious - I hope you'll share pics and a recipe when you make them. And - oh - that lovely bougainvillea... I get to enjoy it vicariously :D

How long will you be in Honiara before you go out to the village again? (Not implying you should rush... just curious!)

Julie

Leslie said...

My mom brought a bougainvilla with her when she came to visit earlier this summer. I know you can by them local but she is sweet like that. Mine is coral that turns pink the older the blooms are. And I just love the D'Aulaire books. Those were the good old days, for sure.

Abi's Blog said...

Didn't realize how much I've missed your blog from SI.. So good to glimpse your world through the blog. Thank you for posting and just so you know, praying for you daily...By the way I sent an email and now I'm thinking I should have made it much shorter. I forgot how limited internet service was.
Blessings,
Ava

Choate Family said...

Julie,
We had planned for Aaron to go back for a quick trip to Marulaon Village this coming weekend, but shipping has changed since we left last year. He is still planning to go out once or twice before SITAG's Conference at the end of September. The whole family is planning to return to Marulaon sometime in October. Thanks for asking!

Joanna