Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Feather Bed Eggs

My hands smell like oregano as I type because I've been digging around in my herb garden this morning.  Everything is coming back to life as we get ready to turn the calendar to March tomorrow.  I love that exercise outside in the early morning is more pleasant now, too, with the sun beginning to make everything a little bit rosy and the temps warming up just a wee bit above freezing.  My girls offer us the gift of breakfast on school days so Aaron and I can steward our bodies well.  I like to make their task a little bit easier with this recipe that can be made ahead and easily diminish or multiply as needed.  Olivia and Katherine add a big fruit salad, and we have a yummy breakfast to start our day off fueled well.


Feather Bed Eggs

2 Tbsp butter, softened
6 thick slices of bread
pepper to taste 
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
oregano to taste

Grease six large muffin cups (I like to use ramekins).  Butter one side of each bread slice, place buttered-side up in muffin cup and press into place.  Sprinkle each slice of bread with pepper to taste (Our Community Supported Agriculture offers "Beaverfork Blend", which I use instead of pepper.  Pick your favorite seasoning!) and 1/4 cup cheese.  Beat eggs and milk together in a large bowl and add oregano to taste; divide mixture among muffin cups.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  In the morning, uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden.  Serve hot.  Makes 6


No comments: