Saturday, October 3, 2009

Benjamin's Turn in the Kitchen


Benjamin chose a "sweet-lips" fish to prepare for his meal this week. He had a lesson from Aaron in gutting, scaling, and filleting the fish. Benjamin also peeled and smashed the umalau for the souffle. Unfortunately, the souffle never rose, so it resembled mashed potatoes, but it was still delicious! We all pitched in to scrape coconut, snap green beans, and slice the watermelon because it would have taken Benjamin hours to do everything by himself.


He worked hard, and the results reminded me summers at my grandparents home on Lake Conway. Garden fresh produce and fish just pulled out of the water- yum!

Benjamin's menu:
coconut creamed fish
kumara (know as umalau in Lavukaleve) souffle
watermelon wedges
green beans
Coconut Creamed Fish
750 g (1 1/2 lb) fish fillets
2 cups coconut cream
2 tbsp chopped onion
1 tsp salt
chilli optional
1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
oil
tomato
seasoned flour
Mix corn flour to a smooth paste using 1 tbsp of coconut cream. Add these to a saucepan along with the balance of the cocnut cream, finely chopped oinions, salt, and chilli. Bring to boiling point only, and let it simmer for a few minutes.
Cut fish into serving sized portions. Dip fish in seasoned flour and fry in hot oil until brown. Drain well and place fish ina casserole. Pour the sauce over. Place slices of tomatoes on top, cover and bake at 150 C (300 F) for 20 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

3 comments:

Ava Pool said...

Benjamin, the food looks delicious - when you all finish your cooking lessons - you can just take turns coming to my house to cook! Have a wonderful Lord's Day in the Solomon Islands tomorrow.

Ruthanne said...

Oh my goodness!

When I saw that first picture, I was already impressed! I don't think I could ever stick my head down by a fish like that! lol :D

Nahna said...

Benjamin, I am so proud of you...I cannot wait until I can eat your cooking. Was it fun to be the chef? You are such a big boy...growing entirely too fast.
Nahna and Papa love you.