Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bloopers

Whenever I learn a new phrase or word, I try to use it as often as I can.  This week, I learned how to ask someone if they will be "working" lelenga.  I was storying with Sarah Kiko outside her kitchen earlier this week.  Several other ladies hung around, too, each bringing her own personality to the conversation.  I saw a unfamiliar woman walking by with a big load of firewood on her back - this is a telltale sign that a woman is about to cook lelenga.  So I quickly asked who the woman was and then proceeded to ask her, "Lelenga ngo voloriria meo?".  Everyone around errupted into laughter!  I knew my pronunciation wasn't very good, but they quickly told me that this woman is from another area of the Solomon Islands and had no idea what I had just asked her.  The ladies from Marulaon told her to answer me "Irei" (yes), and we all had a good laugh.

No comments: