Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Honiara Woman's Daybook



Please visit Peggy who hosts this daybook.

For Today, Tuesday, June 1

Outside my window...hot sun, puffy white clouds in a brilliant blue sky, just another gorgeous day on a tropical island!

I am thinking...that one of the most jarring sounds in the world is waking up to the splatter of one of your children throwing up. More jarring yet, my husband being sick. Last night was a rough one, it seems that Aaron brought back a little "souvenir" from Papua New Guinea.

I am thankful for...my ten-year-old turned "walking buddy" so I can keep exercising when another SITAG woman isn't available

From the kitchen...today has ended up being a leftovers day since Aaron has been sick. Thankful that we had half of a date nut ring left to enjoy for breakfast this morning, and a fridge full of yummy bits and pieces to eat for lunch and supper.

I am wearing...sweat, there's a price to pay for living on a tropical island!

I am creating...care packages! Never seem to have enough time to send as many as I'd like while we're in Honiara and have access to a post office, but it's so fun to put together a little "taste of the Solomons" and send it with our love.

I am reading...Parent's Guide to the Spiritual Growth of Children by John Trent, Rick Osborne, & Kurt Bruner

I am hoping...and praying that we will have full rain tanks when we return to Marulaon at the end of June

I am hearing...planes zooming overhead, birds chirping like crazy, the occasional coconut plopping to the ground and rolling down the hill, the ubiquitous ceiling fan

I am remembering...past Memorial Day weekends playing my cello and enjoying the fireworks

From the learning rooms...still delving into "The Hobbit", Katherine is counting higher and higher (she likes to draw and count "worms"!), reviewing flashcards for music notereading

Around the house...a lovely blackberry sage Arrowhead West candle, a thoughtful birthday present that benefits persons with disabilities

On my mind...my parents' anniversary which was yesterday, thanks for sticking it out through the ups and downs for so many years!

Pondering these words..."And David shepherded them with integrity of heart; with skillful hands he led them." (Psalm 78:72) and praying to shepherd my own little flock with integrity and skillful hands

One of my favorite things...Snickerdoodle decaf coffee from Wicks & Wax (a store in North Little Rock, Arkansas, that my grandmother's brother founded), one of my favorite shops because it contains delightful sensations for each of the five senses! While my great-grandmother was still alive, she used to keep the display shelves filled with homemade candy - pecan logs, divinity, you name it, she could make it to perfection - yum!

A few plans for the rest of the week...a slower week ahead, rescheduled WWII tour tomorrow, company Thursday and Saturday, beginning the shopping for our return to Marulaon

A picture thought I am sharing...two of my great-grandmothers, one I loved dearly,

and the other I never knew.

Extended family has been on my mind a lot lately.

3 comments:

Annesta said...

I love old pictures as they tell such a grand story!
I am sorry that you have had sickness in your family recently. Praying that you will all soon be on the mend and enjoying the things you like to do.
blessings
~a

The dB family said...

I can almost identify with the tropical island heat. It's been unseasonably warm and humid here for over a week now. I'm not complaining! It's wonderful!

Blessings!
Deborah

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Is everyone feeling better? Oh, I sympathize with the misery (for everyone involved) that comes with waking up to that sound. UGH!

Julie