Monday, January 24, 2011

Brisbane Woman's Daybook

For today...Monday, January 24
Outside my window...sun coming up and making the Pacific Ocean really shiny
I am thinking...about the upcoming workshops in Honiara and the national translators who will attend them. The Lavukaleve should be choosing our translators this month, and I'm excited to get this translation ball rolling!
I am wearing...my favorite nightgown, faded seafoam green trimmed in eyelet from Aaron's grandmother (I'm not running this morning)
Praying for...the spiritual growth of my children and that their words may be "sweet to the soul and healing to the bones"
I am going...to Brisbane!
From the learning rooms...beginning a biography of David Livingstone, continuing listening and loving George Gershwin (we watched "Funny Face" over the weekend)
I am thankful for...an amazing husband who can keep the house running smoothly while I'm gone
I am remembering...the yummy peanut soup and African chicken curry that Sarah cooked for us yesterday
I am reading..."The Laird's Inheritance" by George McDonald, at least I'm taking it for the plane ride
I am hoping...that a new shipment of apples shows up in Honiara while I'm gone so I can spend next weekend canning apples
On my mind...getting everything ready for my family so they won't even notice when I'm gone
Noticing that...I'm not the only one who makes cultural blunders - grace abounds!
Pondering these words..."How many times do I assume that what I want is what others want? How many times do I fail by running off to do what I think someone needs me to do, instead of asking what exactly it is that they need? Why do I assume they want what I want from my cultural worldview? Where did I ever learn that?" -- Women of the Harvest
I am hearing...the engines throbbing on the boats in the harbor
Around the house...things beginning to pile up in the "village prep" room
One of my favorite things...sitting down to visit with friends who drop by "just because"
A few plans for the rest of the week...get my wisdom tooth pulled, organize lots of school stuff, pick up a printer to replace ours that died, and come back to my loved ones in Honiara, along with a SITAG employee party on Saturday at Bonegi Beach
Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...can't get the computer to cooperate with the pictures, sorry!

2 comments:

Abi's Blog said...

Praying that your trip to Brisbane goes well and that tooth is NO problem! How long will you be gone? I'm sure the household will run fine, but I'm just as sure they will miss you. :) If I had an extra 10,000 - I'd just fly over and meet you! :)
Love,
Ava

The dB family said...

Wow! You had a busy week! I am thankful you are back safely again. The words you are pondering have me pondering too. Very good words.

Blessings!
Deborah