Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Friday, December 27

I'm so glad my friend Margaret has returned to Marulaon for a few months.  She's been living in another village with her sister for most of the year.  While we were on furlough, her husband, Moses, was attacked by a shark who took a hunk of his leg as a souvenir.  Moses spent months in the small hospital in Yandina, and Margaret looked after him.  Hospitals here aren't like hospitals in the States, you have to provide your own food and do your own laundry and you don't get a private room.  So Margaret would have had her hands full.

Moses brought a couple of nice fish by our house this morning, and he and Aaron sat on the porch and talked for a while.  I've tried to find Margaret at home several times, but she's always out and about, so I asked Moses if his wife would be home this afternoon.  He replied in the affirmative, so I told him to pass on the news that I would be coming down to visit when I was finished teaching school.

Everybody had told me that Margaret had lost weight in our absence, so thankfully I was prepared to find a very thin friend.  She offered me fish and umalau.  My neighbors have no problems with talking with their mouths full of food, so I have to work really hard to talk and visit at the same time.  Listening is certainly a challenge to my language learning skills!

No comments: