Sunday, October 21, 2018

Sweet Sabbath

Historian and social philosopher Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy claimed that "the greatest temptation of our time is impatience, in its full original meaning:  refusal to wait, undergo, suffer.  We seem unwilling to pay the price of living with our fellows in creative and profound relationships." Love doesn't rush past hard places.  Love enables us to listen when we are tempted to react.  Love moves us to seek understanding when we feel misunderstood.  Love is patient.  
~Alan Fadling, "An Unhurried Life"

Our freshmen year of college

Another writer summed up the definition of love centuries ago:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."  1 Corinthians 13:4-7, NIV


When I married Aaron, I knew he was one of the most patient people I had ever met.  What I didn't realize was that he was going to have to direct that patience toward me so very, very often.  "Love doesn't rush past hard places" is something Aaron lives out every single day.  And lately, it's been multiple times a day.  Protecting, trusting, hoping, persevering...those are DIFFICULT things.  As I rest and worship and restore and play today, I'm reflecting on how grateful I am for this guy who embodies God's love for me, and I'm reminded to not resist God's good work in my life (even when it's hard).

No comments: