Sunday, October 28, 2018

Sweet Sabbath


"Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.  My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end."  
Psalm 119:111-112


We're on a road trip right now that is reminding me about the joys of generation after generation of families that choose to follow Christ.  Our first stop was in Northwest Arkansas where we reconnected with some friends we haven't seen in years.  They had served as missionaries in the Philippines for many years, but now shepherd a church stateside.

Our kids had never met, so while they got acquainted with each other, the grownups sat and caught up with each other.  What I didn't realize was that the couple who was hosting us had hosted my grandparents years and years ago when they came back to America for furlough.  It just hit me like a ton of bricks as we visited throughout Saturday evening and then again on Sunday morning that where I find myself today is heavily influenced by choices my parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents made.  



Choices to say, "Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.  My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end."   John and Linda have made hospitality a habit in their home for more than fifty years.  And multiple generations of my family have benefitted.


Sunday morning, we joined our friends Wade and Joanna for church at Temple Baptist Church, where Wade pastors.  I've known Joanna since kindergarten.  Her mom was my piano teacher for eight years, and Joanna played viola in the orchestra where Aaron and I played our cellos.  She asked if we would bring them, and what a treat it was for these rusty musicians to worship together.


Over a lunch of delicious Mexican food, I was reminded again of the faithfulness of so many generations that was represented at the table.  Lord, may all who come behind us find us faithful.



No comments: