Sunday, October 20, 2019

Sweet Sabbath

"Imagine if you saw a marathon runner utterly exhausted and yet refusing every drink of water the organizers had provided along the way.  You'd think she was crazy.  God's grace is also seen in these refreshment stops that allow us time for reflection.  We leave behind our frantic pace of life for a time to recalibrate our speed, to get a perspective on where we are going and why.  We pause to remember God's role in our lives, to worship him for his all-sufficient grace, and to keep our eye on the ultimate horizon of eternity."  ~Shona Murray, "Refresh"


"Since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."  Hebrews 12:1

I love this necklace.  The much needed reminder is three-fold:

1) Don't quit.  Endure.  Run the race with perseverance. Even when it's hard.

2) I don't run this race alone.  I have beautiful examples of people who have gone before me and lived with great faith.  In addition, I am surrounded by encouragers who are running alongside me.  These friends and fellow racers assist me to "remember God's role in our lives, to worship him for his all-sufficient grace, and to keep our eye on the ultimate horizon of eternity."

3) Because it is a life-long race, I need to approach it with a "slow and steady wins the race" mindset.  Allowing pauses to refresh so I can continue to run faithfully as God provides the strength and energy I so desperately need.

No comments: