Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Tuesday, March 17

“When we focus on the world’s values of happiness and success and comfort, we aren’t in line with God’s syllabus for us….In my school of life, the assignments would all be easy, and I could ace the class. God’s desired outcome for our lives is not our comfort but our character, not our happiness but our transformation. His assignments line up perfectly with moving us toward those outcomes.”
~Gina Brenna Butz, “Making Peace With Change”




When we settled on using Sonlight curriculum so many years ago, we had no idea the impact the books and assignments would have on our family culture. So many of our family’s inside jokes are from books we have read together for school, so much of my kids’ academic success is because this curriculum has made them think and taught them to love learning.



But my “school of life” isn’t laid out in a colorful graphic presenting a scope and sequence. My assignments require heart searching and ambiguity. Acing the class looks like keeping a soft heart while navigating the challenges of God’s syllabus for me. But my heavenly Teacher provides encouragement and comfort and perseverance and holds my hand as He helps me work through each assignment.

“...continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.” Phil. 2:12-13

No comments: