Saturday, January 31, 2009

Technical Difficulties

I've been hoping to post some pictures throughout week, but I've had so much trouble getting any picture to upload. Since a picture is better than 1000 words, I've been hesitant to post, but here are a few highlights from the last week.

-Benjamin got to clean out our water tank Friday, and God sent more rain today for our clean and empty tank. For his Language Arts assignment this week, he had to write the instructions for how to do something, so he chose how to make chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. These cookies happened to be a "jar" recipe, so Benjamin made five jars worth of ingredients and passed them out at staff meeting this week along with his instructions. My favorite part? The last line of his directions: Make sure you wash the dishes and clean up after yourself.
-Olivia continues to play her RV game. Today, she and I began a trip from Davao (in the Phillipines), travelled down to New Zealand, across to Chile, and up to Little Rock, Arkansas. I told her that I thought that it might take a long time, and her reply was "Don't worry, I brought a few snacks!"
-Sarah made playdough for Katherine (including some fruit punch flavored Kool-Aid) one day this week, and they played with it during their special school time together. I wonder if Sarah will specialize in early childhood education when she gets older? Sarah showed Katherine how to roll snakes and use the cookie cutters with the homemade clay.
-We got to help out a little bit with a literacy workshop this week by stuffing folders. I was really proud of my kids as they worked to quickly finish their job.
-Sarah makes tortillas every week for taco night (thanks to all of the taco seasoning we've received in care packages!). This week when she brought me a tortilla fresh from the skillet and I immediately devoured it, a wave of nostalgia overwhelmed me and I was transported back to Casa Bonita in Little Rock. I've seen pictures of me eating there as a very little girl, Aaron and I used to eat there whenever we went to the Cinema 150 on a date, and I've taken orchestras there to eat while we were on field trips. So, this week, I ate at "Casa Honiara" and made plans for a furlough visit to Casa Bonita.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get pictures to post soon. To get ready for National Bubble Gum Day tomorrow, try this website where you can buy a kit to make your own gum or find a store that sells Glee Gum (made with sustainably forested rainforest chicle).

2 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

you made me smile today:)
Hugs my friend,
Gayly

Christy said...

My daughter would LOVE her own personal play-doh maker!

I used to love going to Casa Bonita when I was younger! The sopipillas there were better than anywhere else. Unfortunately when it closed/changed names in 1993 it never was quite the same. Last time I was down that way, it was closed. I don't know if it's open anymore.