Monday, February 23, 2009

Happy Banana Bread Day!

Our new favortie banana bread recipe, from the Wycliffe International Cookbook:

Combine:
1/2 cup shortening (120 ml) or 1/3 cup oil (80 ml)
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
1/4 cup water (60 ml)

Add:
1-2 beaten eggs, optional
2-3 bananas, mashed
1 tsp. lemon juice, optional (5 ml)

Combine separately and add:
2 cups flour (500 ml)
1/2 tsp salt (2 ml)
1 tsp baking soda (5 ml)
1/4 -1/2 tsp cinnamon, cloves or nutmeg (1-2 ml)
1 tsp vanilla (5 ml)
1/2-1 cup chopped nuts, optional (120-250 ml)

Pour into greased loaf or 9x9 pan (23 x 23 cm). Bake at 375 F (190 C) for 45-60 minutes.

3 comments:

Stacie said...

Yum! This is one of our favorite recipes. Welcome back! We have been praying for you as you journeyed to the village. We can't wait to hear how it went and how it compared to POC village visits. We love you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! It has been a favorite of mine since my address was the same as yours (PO Box 986)! We just moved and my Wycliffe cookbook is in a box somewhere. I was so glad to find I'm not the only one who likes this recipe.
Kent Ashley

Anonymous said...

I'm at my dad's house (different country than where I live) and he wanted "my" banana bread. Was glad to find it posted online. Thanks