Saturday, December 21, 2013

Saturday, December 14

(by Sarah)
After playing capture the flag for a while (which is very exciting with no boundaries) I got Daris to take me to get my mausa.  She ran up to her house and grabbed goggles and changed clothes.  I ran up to my house, got goggles and forgot to change.  Oh, well.  Anyway, we dog-paddled out and started taking the rocks off of the bundles.  It was crazy murky.  We swished them around and then pulled them to shore.  They stank, and I watched Daris begin to separate the bark.  After I saw her do the first one, I tried, too.  I got a long strip, whacked it on the water, and then pulled the inside away from the outside.  The outside was the dark green part and the inside was whitish and in maybe five really thing layers.  It didn't come off terribly neatly, and I ended up with a bunch of tangles and left some usable stuff behind.  But I realized more of what I was doing it got easier.  After you separate the white part you rinse it in the sea to get the slimy rotting plant matter feel off.  I was very glad that we had some helpers.  It would have taken me like an hours.  As it was, it took maybe 20 minutes.

skirt
I learned that if you gather the bark when it's too old, your skirt will be brown, and if you leave your bark in the sea too long, your skirt will be red.  You want it to be white.  I'm afraid mine is going to be a little red.  Then they told me to take the huge arm load to my house and hang it under the house on the clothesline.  I asked if I needed clothespins and they said no.  So, I got Daddy and Benjamin to help me hang it all up.

No comments: