Saturday, December 1, 2018

Full Circle. Again.


This is the fourth week in a row that I've been on a road trip.  I think I'm getting old because I love my own bed and staying home so much.  But this trip was to cheer on Benjamin as he played in his first chamber orchestra concert at JBU.


Our college kiddos keep a full schedule, so we had only a brief window to meet them for supper at Fratelli's Wood Fired Pizza.  As always, the table was full of laughter in addition to the good food.  Then Benjamin jetted off to get ready for his performance.


I'm super proud of him.  Last year was the first time he played with an orchestra.  His diligence and hard work paid off, and now he fits seamlessly into a group of students who have many years of experience behind them.


Sarah had a full day of classes the next morning, but Benjamin had a little bit of space, so he graciously met us at Café on Broadway for a quick cup of coffee, then he headed back to campus and the rest of us drove to visit someone who is dear to our hearts.


I haven't seen Jill in three years, but, as always, her home felt comfy and like it could have been my own home.  Full of books, puzzles, music, animals and food.


She and Arthur welcomed us with open arms and with her famous, labor-of-love lasagna that she used to serve the orchestra back when we were in high school and Conway's orchestra was tiny.


Teaching orchestra again last year made me extra grateful for Jill and the way she poured herself out for her students as the only teacher for the whole orchestra program, grades 6-12.  That kind of impact can only be measured by looking back over many years.  Benjamin playing the viola is a result of Jill's teaching us.  

The many ways I invested in my students last year, those are also a result of Jill's impact.  Long, slow, hard perseverance pays off, whether in the physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual realms.


No comments: