Tuesday, July 4, 2023

The gift of a week

 


The day after Father's Day, I was scheduled to begin chemotherapy if my incisions looked good, but the doctor decided to wait another week. God's timing was absolutely perfect, as always. 


Our translation team showed up ready to work, and because we have no way to communicate with them until they arrive at SITAG, we never know exactly when they are coming. My delay in treatment allowed Aaron and the team to work together for several days, continuing through the book of Matthew.


Any time I have a doctor's appointment in Little Rock or North Little Rock, we take advantage of the time together and turn the not-so-fun medical necessity into a more fun mini-date.


The week after Father's Day, we found a used bookstore, aptly named The Book Store, 


and also discovered a Star Wars themed coffee shop, The Dark Side.


I love my cello students, they are some of my favorite people. Last summer one of them broke her leg, and again this summer another one broke his leg. But he didn't let that stop him from practicing his cello or from coming to a lesson!


The delay in chemo also allowed us to spend some sweet time with our friends, the Gentry family.


We hadn't seen them since they lived briefly in Honiara, 


so when they said they would be driving through Arkansas, we jumped at the chance to chat again.


We also got a surprise text from my cousin to let us know they were going to be in town,


so we quickly rallied all of the cousins who were available and made an impromptu visit to the orchard to pick peaches.


Three generations of Schalchlin goodness!


The last "extra day" we were gifted before my treatment began, we decided to go to church with one of my cello students so we could hear him help lead worship on his cello. His family came over after church. We enjoyed good food and introduced them to a rousing game of Carcasonne.



No comments: