Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Honiara Woman's Daybook




For today...Sunday, October 24 (finished Wednesday, October 27)



Outside my window...the morning sun is catching the spider webs strung across the tree outside my bedroom window. The big red ants are lighting up like jewels as they crawl across the tree branches - God's creation never fails to amaze me!



I am thinking...about all of the packing we have to do and feeling like I want to crawl in a hole. Honest, all-about-me feelings, I know.



I am thankful for...my best friend, lover, provider, box packer, and shoulder to cry on. Aaron continues to be a rock for me and the kids during this season of great transition. He is a great physical representation of our Heavenly Father.



I am praying for...lots of people coming and going from Honiara this week



I am wearing...denim skirt, blue denim/sequin flip-flops I bought at a second hand store in Brisbane, and a black t-shirt that says, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice, & perform with the ENMU Choir" from some dear college friends.



I am creating...lots of "to-do" lists, jars of food, and an "open-me-first" box for Marulaon



I am going...to miss keeping in touch with all of our family and friends. We don't anticipate having e-mail this trip out to Marulaon.



I am hoping...and praying for calm seas on Sunday. We're out of Bonine!



I am hearing...the album "Until the Whole World Hears" by Casting Crowns, this music is like cold water sent from a distant land to our weary souls (Proverbs 25:25). Thanks, Ann.



I am remembering...to give thanks in all circumstances. It wouldn't hurt to remind me. Frequently.



From the learning rooms... no school this week. Usually, I just give the kids Thursday and Friday off, but we are feeling rather swamped this time with only three weeks to switch from Brisbane to Marulaon.



From the kitchen...food from the freezer! So glad we had a cooking bonanza last weekend. Just before we leave, our thoughtful SITAG friends will host us and provide physical and emotional refreshment.



Around the house...chaos



On my mind...shepherding my precious children.



Noticing that...I've worn a blister on the base of my right index finger from cutting so much pumpkin to can.



Pondering these words..."...be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with all your heart, always and for everything giving thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ." (Eph. 5:18-21)


So, being fill with the Spirit results in 1) musical joy, 2) universal gratitude, 3) loving submission to each other's needs (From John Piper's "Taste and See")


One of my favorite things...Katherine's sweet exclamations. This morning, when we added a little cream to her coffee, she said "That's amazing!" Her words are finally becoming clear and easy to understand...in all of the three languages that she speaks.



A few plans for the rest of the week...canning the apples Aaron brought home yesterday, finishing up school plans for Marulaon, mailing the last of the Christmas packages, digging through my in-box, packing and cleaning, getting on the Bikoi Sunday morning - it's resumed its former schedule!



Here is a picture I am sharing...



Benjamin really needed a haircut, and he wanted a mohawk for just a few minutes. Isn't he handsome?!?

4 comments:

The dB family said...

He's looking so grown up! Pray for you, my dear friend, for peace and joy in the journey! I'll miss your posts while you are gone!

Blessings!
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Look at those freckles on that boy! So grown up I can hardly believe it.

Thanks for taking a few minutes of your crazy day to talk with me; I think I may have needed it as much or more than you did. We LOVE you up in Minnesota!

Love, Liss

Herding Grasshoppers said...

He does look grown up! Sometimes mine get a mohawk in the summer... just for a little while.

Praying for you in the midst of packing and planning. Sounds overwhelming. Rejoicing that the Bikoi is back 'online'!

Julie

pkrains said...

love those sweet dimples! He's growing up sooooo handsome! :-)