Sunday, November 23, 2014

Weekend Wonders

Sunday, November 16

I'm still getting used to the fancy-dancy new camera that Gayly brought me in June. I have to think about so many things, and I often forget some aspect of picture taking. When I took this photo of Olivia watching her siblings play, I forgot to check the light meter, but I love the way the overexposure really focuses on her beautiful brown eyes.
Olivia - day uncertain
God often takes my "goofs" and makes beautiful things, too, and I'm so thankful!
Edi digging heaps MON
Since my cassava isn't ripe yet, we used our Saturday morning to dig heaps and plant more cassava instead of making lelenga. Edi learned very quickly with my kids as teachers.
Katherine hoeing
The small garden plot next to the house was the perfect place to plant the new batch of cassava, but we needed to weed it first. Everything is done by hand here, and clearing the ground of weeds took most of the morning.
everybody working in the garden
One of the nicest things about having Edi around is the beautiful example she sets for my children. I often find Katherine snuggled up with Edi as they both read their Bibles during their "Jesus Time" early in the mornings.
Edi & Katherine reading Bibles
In the Solomon Islands, church and state merge together, and last night our church held a thanksgiving communion service for one of the candidates for MP (member of parliament). He is from our village and brought a large campaign team with him to participate in the service. Our district priest stayed around for the morning service as well, so we had another communion service. Normally, we are out of church around 8:00 on a Sunday morning, but today it was closer to 11:00 by the time we got home. My friend, Margaret, mentioned that she didn't have any lelenga, and I told her I didn't either. When I asked her what she WAS going to eat for breakfast, she said "dry rice". I asked, no fish? no greens? no potatoes? She shook her head sadly, so I invited her to come cut some of my slippery cabbage. She has quite a few people in her family, including a nursing mother and some grandchildren, so they need more than just dry rice to eat!
worm eating cabbage
While I was giving some greens to Margaret, I noticed a beautiful green worm eating my freshly planted slippery cabbage. He was so pretty I needed to take a picture. God gave me the gift of ministering through food, and at the same time, Edi was praying for another one of my friends outside the church. He has given Edi the gift of prayer. I love how He makes each one of us different!

1 comment:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

All beautiful photos, ESPECIALLY the one of Olivia!