Saturday, July 11, 2015

Plus One


I know I've written about "plus one" before.  Aaron and I learned this concept when we were taking linguistic classes in Dallas.  Go a little farther, do something a little harder, learn a little bit more than you think you can.
This concept applies to every area of my life, not just learning Lavukaleve.  As we are beginning to feel a little bit more at home and a little bit more settled, I'm sensing the need for growth and to add "Plus One" back into my life.  Women of Faith shared a quote on Instagram the other day,
"Spiritual growth takes place in an atmosphere of invitation and intention."
So, I'm putting the routines and boundaries in place to foster that "Plus One" growth in my life.  Spiritually, it looks like being more diligent with scripture memory.  Mentally, I challenged myself by making pickles for the first time this weekend.  Thankfully, my MIL bailed me out when no pickling salt could be found.


Physically, "Plus One" looks like borrowing Sarah's bike today for a bike-riding date with my hubby.  And adding more time and distance on my morning cardio along with a few more reps on the tiny bit of weight training I'm doing.  Because I believe in leading by example, I'll be working alongside my kids as they train for their first Kids' Triathalon in August.  Katherine will be my training buddy!  And for me, that's "Plus One".
I want to be a good steward of what the Lord has given me.  And that looks different from every other person on the planet.  What does it look like for you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, I like this concept! Thank you for sharing!
I'll be pondering about ways to "plus one".

The other day I was riding in the car with a group of teenagers, and the gals in the back wanted to take photos on their cameras. So while we were driving, they were flashing and flashing taking goofy giggly pictures and such. The problem however was that it was nighttime, so the flashes were reflecting in the rear view mirror of the van, surely making it uncomfortable for the driver. (The driver is a really sweet woman, momma of 4, and youth pastor's wife at my parents church.) She gently just moved the mirror at an angle that wouldn't blind her, and that was it. She didn't command the kids stop, she didn't react by asking them to change- her first reaction was to adjust herself. I realized that that is the kind of person she is- a few times later on the trip she would adjust what she could in herself, before asking someone else to compromise.

So I'm not saying it is always safe/healthy/wise to act this way, but for the most part, this routine challenges and shrinks my selfishness. I'm encouraged to focus on how I can help and adjust to others, before I automatically expect them to adjust to me.

Just thought I would verbalize all that, since it was a simple concept that I've been thinking about lately. "Plus one" reminded me of that :)

Love you Joanna!

Edi