Sunday, September 15, 2019

Sweet Sabbath

The morning sky stopped me in my tracks repeatedly.  Everywhere I looked, I couldn't get away from God's creation and His provision.  Aaron and I just had a mini worship service while we walked.  And I was reminded of some of my favorite verses from Philippians:


"Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again:  Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent of praiseworthy - think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice.  And the God of peace will be with you."  
Philippians 4:4-9


I recently read this snippet about these verses from She Reads Truth:

1)  Rejoice in the Lord (v. 4).  Have I reminded myself of the joy in knowing Christ and that He, no matter the conflict I'm in, has already triumphed over it all?  Though it may be the last thing I feel like doing I am called to rejoice!

2)  Practice grace and patience (v. 5).  Am I being gracious and patient as I wait for the Lord and HIS resolution?

3)  Pray steadfastly (v. 6).  Have I poured out my heart to God, asking for His help and showing gratitude that He hears me and is already working on my behalf?


4) Dwell on Him, not the problem (v. 8).  Am I focusing on God's Word and His character - His beauty, compassion, righteousness, grace - instead of on the conflict?

5) Obey Him (v. 9).  Am I letting God be God, regardless of the conflict, holding onto my faith and obediently following His will?  Or am I abandoning His truth and being driven to sin?


Remembering Paul's charge to the Philippians, let's ask God to use our conflicts to change us, to help us focus on Him and those things worthy of our thoughts, and to keep us in His Word and will.

1 comment:

quilt'n-mama said...

We have been having beautiful sunrises and sunsets too! I just read this week that the purple color is coming from ash in the atmosphere from a volcanic eruption this summer in Russia. The heavens do declare His Glory!!!