Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hymn Study

I have always loved hymns. Nestled between my Mama's alto and my Daddy's bass, I grew up knowing not only verses 1, 2, and 4 but also the page number for many hymns in the blue "Great Hymns of Faith" that our church used. Our last Sunday of village living in PNG, we attended a little Baptist church, and imagine my joy when I saw a well-worn copy of that blue hymnal in the hands of one of the ladies. I wanted to run up to her and ask to flip through the book, but I didn't.



Last Christmas, Aaron's mom gave Benjamin (my singing boy) a copy of "Hymns for a Kid's Heart" by Bobbie Wolgemuth and Joni Eareckson Tada. In all of the chaos of last spring, we never got around to looking at it. But after we settled in Honiara, I opened the book and loved what I found! We began using this book as the foundation for a hymn study with our children. To help us prepare for Easter, we ordered "Passion Hymns for a Kid's Heart" by the same authors. Now, I frequently hear children singing "Holy, Holy, Holy" or "Man of Sorrows" as they sweep the floor or complete their handwriting. We all look forward to gathering after the dishes are washed and teeth are brushed. Then, we know that Aaron will pull out the guitar and we will join our voices together (even Katherine). We're planning to invest in another from this series when we finish learning the hymns in these volumes. As an added bonus, each book contains a CD with children singing the hymns. Just had to share this jewel!

5 comments:

The Hibbard Family said...

Steven's most recent favorite is, as he calls it, "Oh Victory" (aka Victory in Jesus). Before that it was "Sweetest Name I Know." It's so precious to me to hear those sweet little voices singing hymns. I can just hear yours in my mind's ears...how precious!

Christy said...

I too love hymns. I can still tell you many of the Hymn Numbers from the old Baptist Hymnals that we used at IBC. I was as good at locating hymns as I was at Bible Drill!

Anonymous said...

So good to know that the book has been a blessing. I love to hear children's voices too...will never forget how Aaron and Jason used to sing as little ones.

Learn all you can...the hymns will carry you through lots of things...those based strictly on Scripture especially.
Nahna

quilt'n-mama said...

I have seen these books but never picked them up! I may have to order one of them for the kiddos!
Our kids love to sing, I only wish mommy and daddy were a bit more musical:)
Love you guys!
Blessings,
Gayly for the crew

Joanna Allen said...

If my memory serves me, "Just As I Am" was #249 in those blue hymnals! LOL. We've started going through the hymnal with our kids too, focusing on one hymn a week. We add a verse each night and sing them accapella. As the kids get comfy with the melody, we add in the harmony and they can carry their own. Caleb's fav is "Holy, Holy, Holy." Yes, so sweet to hear them going through their day and the words of the hymns coming from their lips!

We don't have the book that you have, but did you know you could download all the accompaniment tracks online for free?