Monday, January 25, 2010

Simple Woman's Daybook




For today, Monday, January 25, 2010


(to see more daybooks or to participate, please visit Peggy's)

Outside my window...dark, cool, and rainy, the sun has yet to peep its head over the horizon

I am thinking...about dishes that promote a love for God's Word
I am thankful for...things like Bath and Body Works hand soaps to help me smell good (or at least mask the smell) in a very odiferous environment

I am wearing...denim wrap around skirt, mint green t-shirt, dangly beaded earrings I bought at a craft fair in Fort Worth

I am remembering...a sweet friend whose funeral is today in Memphis.

I am going...to be a busy hostess this week as our family gets to nurture and encourage other families

I am currently reading...the January edition of National Geographic with a great article and pictures about the clownfish and the anemone (perfect for our study of the Great Barrier Reef!)

I am hoping...that Katherine will begin to sleep well again soon. We're pooped!

On my mind...Pogo and Melissa. They found us in town on Saturday and hugged my neck. Melissa brought her mom to the hospital and they all plan to stay for three months. After they left, I wondered who is watering the plants on the porch and who is looking after our garden since they had told me they would take care of the house and yard while we were in Honiara?!?

Noticing that...God's been nudging me to more discipline in my prayer life. Over and over I find encouraging thoughts like this and this. Then this morning while reading "A Chance to Die", I ran across this passage describing the prayer tower of the Dohnavur fellowship: "On its roof are two pointed shafts, wymbol of the unity of spiritual and secular in the life of holiness -- the men and women of Dohnavur lived a common life, but they lived it with God for others....Morning and evening a hymn is played on the bells, and each hour they ring for a moment of stillness for prayer and recollection." Considering borrowing Benjamin's watch until I can get my own...

Pondering these words... "To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart" ~Phyllis Theroux

From the kitchen...cranberry-orange bread for breakfast (a big thanks to the cranberries and dried orange peel that came in care packages!), bierrocks enjoyed with company for lunch, and curried chicken with the end of the fresh carrots and a splurge of frozen broccoli tonight

Around the house...drawings of homonyms in Lavukaleve complete with gender articles, paper snowflakes taped to Sarah's windows, an empty flour canister (serious tragedy in our baking household)

One of my favorite things~ beautiful nightgowns

From my picture journal...

Katherine enjoying the boomwhackers in the Educational Resource Center

2 comments:

Mandy said...

What a nice Daybook post with lots of encouraging words. Nice to "meet" you!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Love the Vegemite/Lamington joke :0)

One of my bloggy "friends" is featured in that January NG - the mom with the deaf son with cochlear implants!

Enjoy your cranberry-orange bread... my favorite kind of muffins :0)

Julie