Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tues & Wed

Tuesday, April 26

Kiko and I made banana cake this afternoon in her kitchen.  As I completed each step, she told me in Lavukaleve what I was doing, and I wrote it down.  I hope to be able to repeat it back to the ladies who are coming later this week.  Part of the Mother's Union program is to share with the ladies something you know how to do - crochet, cook, etc.  The cake turned out beautifully thanks to Kiko's expertise in cooking on the open fire. 

Wednesday, April 27

At market this morning, I heard some of the ladies talking about the Bilikiki (a small scuba diving/cruise ship).  Sure enough, I looked out across the ocean and saw the ship anchored between Karumolun and Marulaon.  Some of my friends planned to take some produce to the Bilikiki and create a small market, so I asked if I could go too.  Quickly, I went out and picked a pumpkin and a papaya, grabbed some Chinese cabbage, and several of us headed out paddling as quickly as we could to catch the ship. 

Before we reached the ship, it began to move around the other side of Karumolun, so we paddled to meet it on the other side of the island.  The ship was getting ready to go to another part of the Russells, but they graciously waited for us and chose the produce that they wanted to buy.  I was able to get $17 (a little more than US $2) for the Bible Translation Committee, and I made it clear to boat's crew that the money was for the committee, not for me.  We stopped by Karumolun on the way home to visit and pick up a couple of things at their small store.  I arrived home a little before noon (thankful that Aaron was able to teach school on such short notice), with sore arms and a little sunburned, but I had a great time visiting with my friends and practicing Lavukaleve.

No comments: