Saturday, April 20, 2013

Introvert? Extrovert? Ambivert?


Thanks to a bloggy friend, we have discovered an intriguing new book, "Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.

 
I gave it to Aaron to read first, since I already have a few books waiting on the shelf, and he is devouring this book!  At breakfast a few days ago, he administered the quiz found at the beginning of the book.  No surprise to us, our family (minus Katherine) breaks down like this:
 
Aaron - extreme introvert
Sarah - moderate introvert
Joanna - ambivert
Olivia - moderate extrovert
Benjamin - extreme extrovert
 
Each morning at breakfast, we look forward to the discussion this fascinating book creates around our table.  Sometimes, we're even late for chores.
 
Where do each of you fall in this range, and how do you feel about the high value our world places on extroverts?
 


8 comments:

Abi's Blog said...

Well, after researching to find what an ambivert is, that's what I am. However I strongly disagree with the website that said ambiverts are good salesmen...Not me. :)I hate to sell things!
Blessings to some of my favorite people.

Bartokhound said...

No way! I have this book, too! I am an introvert, and was drawn to the book for this reason. I wish I had thought to share it with you all while you were here (a book for Aaron from the Paulk library).
Enjoy! One of my favorite parts of the book was the author's self-prescribed visit to a Tony Robbins talk. Wow! Sheer torture for an introvert. :-)

Kayla

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I haven't read the book, but would guess I'm a moderate introvert. Took me forever to realize that, since I assumed that introvert = shy, and I'm not at all shy or uncomfortable around people. However, I really long for quiet time, for solitude, to recharge my batteries.

That may change someday, when we have an empty nest, I suppose.

Julie

Leslie said...

I knew you had to be more extroverted than I am just by the activeness of your family. You have such room for lots and lots of people. I have seen that the older I get the more extroverted I get. I am not a salesmen of stuff to buy, but ideas, I can sell ideas. :) I'm glad you are enjoying the book.

Leslie said...

PS...have you read 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker? I just started it a few days ago and can't put it down. I am not sure really what I think yet, but it is intriguing.

us5 said...

i couldn't put this book down. it was so very affirming. as a classic introvert, it's sometimes easy to think you're alone, because everyone like you is being so quiet about it. :) i loved it, and i now understand myself a little better because of it!

The dB family said...

Now I definitely have to read this book! I'm an introvert, I know that, but to what extent I'm not sure. I was just looking up where I fall in the Briggs-Meyer testing the other day.

Blessings!
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Don't ask me why I'm look at an April blog post (rhymes with "hallender"). Matt just bought this book and is super excited to read it. So it's kind of cool to stumble back on this and see that this was appreciated by another important introvert in our lives! I'll definitely be reading it myself.

Love,
Liss (your extremely extroverted sister)