Friday, January 4, 2019

These are a few of my favorite things...

Working together as "Team Choate" is one of my favorite things.  During the Christmas break, we tackled more of removing Johnny Appleseed from our kitchen walls.  Instead of plain ship lap, we unexpectedly found green paint!  We are definitely NOT home renovators, but something will have to change in this old kitchen before renters will be willing to live here while we are back in the Solomon Islands. 




We also found fragments of the very fragile original ivy covered wall paper from when the house was built in 1939.  One of the kids said it felt like watching the History Channel (which we've never had access to, so I'm not sure how our kids would know!) to peel off the layers.


We work together really well because our strengths and weaknesses complement each other, but we play together well, too!  Now that my college kids have been gone a few days, I'm extra grateful for the laughter we shared as a family of six.


Seafarers of Catan was a Christmas present from my mom, and we played it several times over Christmas break.


But by far my favorite thing to do as a family is sing.  One of the sweetest memories I have is listening to all four of our kids sing out of Sarah's Christmas carol book she copied in Marulaon Village.  Song after song in Lavukaleve spilled from their lips.  I know we are music nerds, but another favorite thing we did was to sight read our way through a new-to-us hymnbook that we are borrowing.  On New Year's Eve we sang this one together:

"Great God, we sing that mighty hand
By which supported still we stand;
The opening year thy mercy shows,
That mercy crowns it till it close."

2 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

Wish I was there to help on your kitchen renovation friend!!!!

Choate Family said...

Me, too ❤️