Thursday, April 9, 2020

Tortilla Cups

Most of my memories from growing up center around food.  I thought my mom could conjure up good times with just a few minutes in the kitchen.


And one of my favorite things was taco salad in tortilla cups.  I had no idea how she created the puffy, amazing, crunchy holders for the taco filling, but I was mesmerized.  Not realizing how easy this transformation took place, I never tried it in my own home.  Until now.


With my trusty side-kick, Katherine, we followed the directions in my well worn Better Homes and Garden cookbook.  Here is how the magic happens:

In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, heat 2 inches of cooking oil to 375 degrees.  Place one 7-inch flour tortilla on top of hot oil.  Using a metal ladle, press tortilla into fat, forming the tortilla into a cup.  Fry for 40-60 seconds or till golden.  Remove with tongs.  Drain on paper towels.  Repeat with five more tortillas.


And there you have it.  Delight on a plate.

No comments: