Monday, October 19, 2020

Friday, October 16

Last time Aaron and Belza (who is one of the few who follows clock time around here) traveled together to a meeting, we were still enjoying an afternoon coffee break on the porch when the boat arrived, and Aaron had to be fetched like a tardy school boy. Yesterday, I was determined that we wouldn’t be the reason for a delayed departure. So a few minutes before 3:00, Aaron and I headed down to Belza’s house to be ready. We sat with Kiko, who was also going to the translation committee meeting, and watch our boat’s crew go fishing. Evidently the tuna were “running” in a bait ball, and everybody who had any kind of canoe was out catching supper. People were pulling in fish left and right! After a while, I couldn’t wait any longer, so I gave my husband a high five (the only acceptable form of Public Display of Affection here), and walked back up the hill to finish school with the girls.

Around 4:00, I heard the boat come ashore and quickly leave again, and I knew that Kiko, Aaron, and Belza were on their way to Nono Village. A few minutes later, Kiko’s sister Delight popped in with a bowl of very fresh fish. She said George, the owner of the boat, gave five for us and five for her family. We decided to stick them in our little gas-powered fridge until Aaron returned home tonight, so he could enjoy them with us.

No comments: