Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Blackberry Picking

"Earth is crammed with heaven,
and every common bush afire with God;
but only he sho sees takes off his shoes.
The rest sit around it and pluck blackberries."
Elizabeth Barret Browning
Lord, let me see you in the everyday common things of our lives...even while we pick blackberries.

I accidentally took this picture as I was trying to turn off the camera, but you can see how beautiful the day was!

I'm always amazed at how God can create the sequence of growth from the blossom...
to the fruit...

ripe and ready to be picked...


then cooked into a yummy pie!



We enjoyed a sweet time together away from the chaos of packing. Spending time with the kids was a very good thing. We picked over six pounds of blackberries, and we are now having fun sharing them with our neighbors.
I love to cook, but I'm not very creative. A friend shared her "made-up" version of berry pie a few years ago when we went blueberry picking. Thanks, Pat!

Pat's Made Up From Nowhere Recipe for Fruit Cobbler
1. Buy two prepared pastry crusts.
2. Alow them to come to room temp.
3. Line casserole dish with one of the pastry crusts.
4. Wash desired amount of fresh or frozen berries. Drain.
5. While berries are draining, combine 2 cups self rising flour (or all purpose plus 2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. salt), 2 cups granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt.
6. Dump the dry mixture on the berries and stir loosely to make a sugar-flour coating on berries.
7. Spread evenly into prepared crust.
8. Slice some cubes of REAL BUTTER into the berries. Add a dash or two of vanilla flavoing.
9. Cover with the top crust, and tuck edges in the top of the crust.
10. Use a knife to make 1" holes in the top of the crust.
11. Brush the top lightly with milk or egg white. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
12. Bake at 375 to 400 degrees for 40 minutes (check for doneness, depending on your oven temp.)
13. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream!! YUM!!!
As I was crimping the edges of the pie with my thumbs, I was reminded of how much I loved watching my mother make pies and put that finishing touch on her creations. Thanks, Mom, for making everyday moments into memories.

3 comments:

Shaundra said...

What fun! You take such beautiful pictures.

pkrains said...

You're such a great cook! You could make anything you wanted without a recipe... Your pie looks just wonderful! And those berries just make my mouth water. Ours haven't started producing yet. They will probably all come and go while we are away in Savannah.

Thanks for sharing your sweet photos of the children. Your family is so blessed to have such special parents (even if one of them does do strange haircuts for Sunday School! ---Just kidding! I think I'll use that one for a teaching suggestion next time I write a lesson on Nebby K.! Not a bad idea! I wonder how well that would go over with the adults? ;-)

Love you and praying for our Father to keep you in the palm of His hand and guide you safely to your destination. There's no place safer on this planet!

Can't wait to hear your reports from the field!

The Hibbard Family said...

This brings back such special memories of strawberry picking with my family as a child. Mmmm...Such sweet times. Such a delight to watch a family who delights in being together. Thanks for sharing!