Monday, December 22, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook




Monday, December 22, 2008

Outside my window...rain coming in over the Pacific Ocean. The weather usually doesn't come in from this direction, so the girls and I are fascinated as we watch it move toward us. Hope the guys in town don't get drenched!

I am thinking...about Habakkuk 2:1, "I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what he will say to me...." and being convicted! I so want to be prepared and watching and listening for whatever the Lord has to teach me.

I am thankful for...time to reflect on Christ's birth without all of the commercial trappings and distractions.


From the learning rooms...we began studying South America and Simon Bolivar today. The kids were less than thrilled, after all, we've been out of homeschool for six months now. I think they will be more excited when I pull out the Amazon rainforest stuff I found. Just now, I overheard Sarah playing with Katherine and saying "Titicaca!" over and over again. That's a lake in the Andes - geography is sticking!


From the kitchen...hot chocolate (made from scratch) for tea time.



I am wearing...a khaki skirt, a blue beaded shirt (a hand-me-down from my mom), a necklace from a friend in Florida (thanks, Renee), and bare feet

I am creating...a meal plan for my family incorporating fresh, local foods (fish just pulled out of the ocean, new greens, varieties of sweet potatoes). I'm slowly learning how to cook these healthier and cheaper foods! (But I still love to bake, especially this time of year.)
I am going...to brave the market in the morning. Great language learning practice, and our family always draws curious stares!
I am reading...lots of orientation paperwork as we settle into Honiara.
I am hoping...that my Pijin will improve quickly so I can communicate well with our new neighbors.
I am hearing...the hum of the ceiling fan and the sounds of unfamiliar birds chirping in the trees outside.
Around the house...Sarah rolling tortillas in the kitchen, other kids coming in to bathe before supper.
One of my favorite things...listening to the sweet soprano voices of my children (even Katherine) singing Christmas carols.
A few plans for the rest of the week: Tomorrow, gathering with other families here for caroling, cookies, and a children's play. Wednesday, enjoying the anticipation of lighting the Jesus candle after dark. Thursday, company for gingerbread waffles, then a slow and luxurious Christmas day with my family. Friday, finally getting to sing "We Three Kings" as we begin celebrating Epiphany with the kids.
Here is picture thought I am sharing...
You CAN enjoy hot chocolate in the tropics!
For a glimpse of other ladies' daybooks, grab your own hot chocolate and stop by Peggy's.

4 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

Thanks for sharing a little glimpse into life today! Hope you have a great market trip and the Hot Chocolate sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas my friend!
Love,
Gayly

The Hibbard Family said...

I just love, love, love reading your thoughts. I am so thankful that you are blogging, and I am exceedingly thankful that God allows us to be "close" to you from so far away. Thank you for sharing. Much love from us to you, dear friends.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your new menu plans. We started this last spring and it has been an adventure. Working with seasonal food has been a real change. Loved your day book... Merry Christmas

Turning into Mom said...

I have really enjoyed keeping with ya'll. Your descriptive details draws me in and I can "be" right there with you. Thanks for serving the Lord. We love you and pray for you. Merry Christmas!