Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook

Wednesday, February 4 (Monday was just a rotten and busy day)
Outside my window...lots of rain and flooding on Guadalcanal
I am thinking...about all of the people on this island who have had their homes and gardens washed away and trying to figure out the best way to help
I am thankful for...prayers of people around the world lifted up on behalf of me and my family
From the learning room...biography of Harriet Tubman, dribbling and bounce passing a basketball, more experiments with magnets, Van Gogh and Pointillism, Katherine - fingerpainting (she tried to eat it!) and ball rolling, Olivia - subtraction sentences, writing mechanics (sentence length), Benjamin - subtracting and renaming over several place values, conjunctions, writing a decalogue, Sarah - multiplication & division by a 2-digit number, writing a narrative poem, hymn study - "This is My Father's World", routes escaping slaves may have used
From the kitchen...chicken fetuccini alfredo (per Sarah's request), green beans and pineapple that I bought at the market yesterday
I am wearing...a meri blouse (green with orange flowers and purple piping!) and lap lap from PNG, a gift as we left the village to come to the Solomon Islands
I am creating...a happy home - physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally
I am going...to eat a Snickers bar today to commemorate the introduction of the best candy bar ever
I am reading..."If a Bus Could Talk" in memory of Rosa Parks' birthday today
I am hoping...that Benjamin's glasses can be soldered again and that they will stay together until the new pair comes
I am hearing...kids fixing sloppy joes and carrot sticks for lunch, happily chattering about the "five-corner fruit" (aka starfruit) I found at market yesterday
Around the house...laundry piling up waiting for sunshine, surprise care packages in the mail filling our souls and our pantry
One of my favorite things...watching Katherine chasing Benjamin on the basketball court, trying to steal the ball, fearless and undaunted by his size or speed
A few plans for the rest of the week: a kind teenager from Malaita coming each afternoon to help me with my Pijin
Here is picture thought I am sharing...can't get pictures to load again, sorry!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I shall pray for the rain to stop. You need the sunshine...Sonshine...too. Thank you so much for sharing your heart via your thoughts and sensations in your day.

Tears roll down my cheeks as I think of the loss of home and provision for the villagers. Lois Sargent stopped me in Wal-Mart this a.m. to ask about "your kids". I shared the request for the flood victims with our prayer team..she is one of the faithful to pray for you.

Blessings and God's peace..wisdom and grace.
Mom/Nahna

Christy said...

Can I come to school today? ;)

We have a museum that's not too far from here that has a FANTASTIC Civil Rights exhibit. They even have THE Rosa Parks Bus with a wonderful narrative. I bawled like a baby the first time I boarded and listened with my daughter in my lap.

Van Gogh is so relaxing to view.

"That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet." My favorite line from your current hymnstudy.