Monday, August 16, 2010

Wind and waves

Friday, July 30

I discovered that I needed to get up early and start lelenga Saturday morning instead of Saturday evening so food will be available after church on Saturday night. I asked Eileen what time we would get up, and she said three o'clock to work by the light of the almost full moon. She doesn't have a clock, but the moon will wake her up. I begged to work with her and Naris, and she finally consented. Thankfully, Grace brought a big bag of obikola by the house this afternoon, so I have everything I need to start early. The kids and I took down the obikola, coconuts, bush knife, coconut scraper, obikola scraper, bowls, and small knife that I will need so I don't have to lug everything down the hill in the morning. Sarah begged to come down with me in the morning. I told her that if she woke up on her own, then she could down and help.

Wednesday, July 28

Our guests left yesterday. Usually, the Bikoi comes late on Tuesday morning, but because the winds were so strong yesterday, the ship harbored out west to try and wait out the rough seas. Finally, a little after eight o'clock last night, the Bikoi arrived, and said goodbye to our friends and prayed that they would rest well all the way back to Honiara over the billowing waves. Travel here is so unpredictable, and even our dependable Bikoi has to submit to the wind and waves.

No comments: