Thursday, July 11, 2013

Stetson University


We love going back to the place where we spent four years growing and maturing and learning.  Some of the learning was about music, and some was just about life.
 


Any time we can find former professors, we jump at the chance to spend time with them. As we rounded the corner to find the restroom, we spotted a couple of familiar faces.  Dr. Musco, on faculty at Stetson, and Dr. Perrine, on faculty at Cleveland State University.  We happened to graduate from Stetson with Dr. Perrine, so we got a double dose of joy! 
 


A visit to Stetson isn't complete until we tiptoe into Elizabeth Hall and gaze at the beautiful Beckerath organ.  All of our concerts were performed in this lovely hall, and just breathing brought back a flood of musical memories for both Aaron and me.
 


After a quick lunch, we drove over to our former voice professor's house.  We have built years of memories with her, too.  One of my favorites is the year we brought my high school orchestra all the way from Arkansas to Florida.  I was pregnant with Sarah, and Dr. Linney asked Aaron and me to stay in her home.  Our discussion is always lively, and I usually come away with a suggestion for a new book to read, too.
 


Later that afternoon, we visited with a former professor's wife.  We just love Patty.  Her home is like a living museum, and she was practicing Bach's Goldberg Variations when we walked up to the door.  We talked about everything under the sun, embroidery, music, liturgy, banana pudding, and, again, I left with a couple of good book suggestions!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that organ is awe-inspiring! I also went to a college with an organ, though I don't know the history of the particular instrument. It was always amazing to listen to.
~Ruth

Anonymous said...

How do I love this picture of Joanna and Patty? Let me count the ways!

Kayla