Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thursday, November 28

While Eta weeded our yard this morning, I noticed big black clouds to the north.  A few minutes later, Kiko walked by with her knife on the way to her garden.  She turned, faced the oncoming clouds, and waved her bush knife back and forth.  I've seen her, and others, do that before when the wind was blowing very strongly, but never at an approaching storm.  A few minutes later, I went out to check on Eta and asked about what I saw.  She confirmed what I thought about Kiko trying to cut the storm to keep it away.  I asked Eta if there was anything the Lavuakal did when they wanted the rain to come.  She told me that there is a special leaf that they take and throw into the ocean that will bring the rain.  I'm going to try and find somebody to show me which leaf!  Eta and I planted wing bean and cantaloupe, and I went back up to help the kids with school.  As I went from room to room, checking on each member of my family, I glanced at Eta outside.  She was cutting the storm with the bush knife!

Two of the members of the US Navy came by after lunch to let us know that they would not be able to join us for Thanksgiving.  They hadn't discovered much in the way of bombs or artillery in our area (thankfully!), so their ship was moving to another area this afternoon, earlier than expected.  We were disappointed, but their departure certainly solved the problem of stretching our little chicken.

No comments: