Wednesday, November 13, 2013


We now have two busted canoes to use as planters in our yard.  I'm so excited, even if my neighbors think I'm crazy!  When I've planted Chinese cabbage in the past, the frogs have dug up a lot of them trying to get into the cool, soft dirt.  Now I can transplant the cabbage into the canoe and the frogs won't be able to reach them.  Early this morning, our family worked to scoop up rich dirt with a coconut shell half.  We carried the dirt over to our house and filled up the bigger canoe.  We sure were sweating by the time we started school, but one more morning of carrying dirt and we should be ready to plant in both canoes.
 
 
We've also begun making banana muffins again to share with our neighbors.  It's a small way we can say thank you.   We delivered over three dozen muffins this afternoon.  As I visited with Kiko and her sister Daisy, I learned that the Form three graduation had finally been set for November 19, next Tuesday.  Our whole family wants to go and support the students that are graduating.  I also set a date for the next Bible story workshop with the ladies from Marulaon and neighboring villages, next Thursday.  I'm itching to get started again!  Daisy's husband, Hiva, has had a cold lately and his voice has been coming and going.  I told him about the English idiom "frog in my throat" and asked him if the Lavukal had anything similar.  Hiva told me that there is a bird, sofiruaem, with a red head and a white tail.  The Lavukal say that this bird is in your throat if you cough a lot.
 
 
I often get asked, "How hot is it in the Solomon Islands?"  While I was chopping slippery cabbage tonight for supper, I glanced up at the thermometer.  I hadn't turned on the burners or the oven.  It was 92 degrees.

No comments: