Sunday, March 22, 2015

Tuesday, March 17


While talking on the radio with SITAG today, I noticed the light streaming through the kitchen window onto the pineapple Sarah had gotten from our garden.  This is a very normal "still life" in our kitchen in Marulaon - papayas and pineapples laying on the cabinet waiting to be piled in the baskets.


Last night, our precious neighbors had a small pot-luck for us.  Once again, I was really glad we brought two kilos of coconut rice and a big pot of milked pumpkin and pumpkin greens, because the food went fast!  Chief Hensy made a very moving speech.  When people make speeches, they always say nice things about the person, and half of the time I wonder if those things are really true.  But Hensy gave example after example of why this community loves our family.  I did really well and didn't boohoo all over the place!  Hensy also made very clear that this wasn't a farewell feast but only a small party because we weren't going back to America for good.  We were so glad that he made that clear.  What a sweet time of fellowship and dancing and singing together.  I tried to soak up every moment and sear it into my brain.
 

Today was the day the kids have been waiting for - measuring day!


Katherine, Olivia, and Benjamin have all grown about 1 1/2 inches in the last four months.  I'm so thankful for healthy, strong, growing kids.
 


Benjamin has almost caught up with me, and he hopes that by the time I return from my trip to Australia, he will have passed me.  I assured him that I could still block him out on the basketball court even if he was taller than I was.  Sarah has only grown about 3/8 of an inch in the last four months, so she's winding down.
 
 
Tonight, we expect the ship to arrive around 11:00, which puts us into Honiara around dawn tomorrow morning.  The skies cleared out yesterday, and the sea has been calm all day.  Thanks to Aaron's hard work and organization, I think we are ready to go once we clean out the fridge and finish off the leftovers!

No comments: