Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Apple Cake

 
 
 
Growing up, I could count on my mom being home when I arrived after school.  Often, she had prepared a great afternoon snack, and in the fall, apple cake made the whole house smell good.  This recipe smells like home to me and conjures up feelings of love and safety.  So, of course, I like to make it for my family, too!
 
 
Apple Cake
(serves 16)
 
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
 1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 medium apples, chopped
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180 Celsius).  Spray 8x8 square pan with non-stick spray.  Cream first four ingredients, then add dry ingredients and combine thoroughly.  Taste test by licking your fingers often, but don't forget to wash your hands.  Stir in the apples and walnuts.
 

Spoon batter into pan and cook until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out cleanly and the house smells wonderful.  Best served outside to enjoy the gorgeous fall weather.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot about apple cake! Thanks for bringing back such a nice memory. I'm going to have to make this for the in-laws when they visit next week.

Love,
Liss

The Hibbard Family said...

And, oh my goodness, it was absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing!