Saturday, January 12, 2019

Fighting for Joy

"The fight for joy in God, through every bright and dismal circumstance of life, is the essential key in my mission for a life of authentic holiness, and fruitful perseverance, where God gets the glory."  ~John Piper


Almost eleven years ago, early in my blogging journey, I posted Piper's list of ways to fight for joy.  I find myself going back to this list over and over, not because of guilt, but because it is a practical list of ways to be healthy and whole and fight for God's joy in our lives.

Stepping outside to enjoy the sunrise in my own backyard and to marvel at God's creation is a conduit to joy.  Spending time with "God-saturated people" (even if it's only to borrow a science book that I can't find on my own shelf) is a pathway to joy.  Going for a bike ride with my husband is yet another channel to funnel joy into my life.


"Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides.  You know that under pressure, you faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors.  So don't try to get out of anything prematurely.  Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way."  James 1:2-4 (MSG)

Let's be people who fight for joy, who also encourage each other not to "try to get out of anything prematurely" but to persevere and to endure and to thrive as God does His work in our lives.

No comments: