Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Last Morning

 "Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done.  The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare."  

Psalm 40:5 (NIV)


Before we returned to the Solomon Islands for this term, I asked our two college kids if they thought growing up overseas was still a good idea, and if they thought we should return with their two younger sisters.  First they looked at me like I was an idiot, and then they replied with a resounding YES!


Thursday night, our best driver and Translation Committee Chairman Belza told us that if we woke up to no rain on Friday morning, he would drive us across in the motor boat.  So dark and early, we began to bring our cargo down to the water.  We sat and waited for the boat coming from Karumalun for almost an hour, and friends began to wake up and tiptoe towards us.  As we said goodbye, yet again, and I watched Olivia grieve, I wondered afresh if giving our kids this life of a Third Culture Kid was worth all of the heartache.


The wet and wild ride across the ocean reminded me of a cross between a mechanical bull and a log flume ride.  At one point, Aaron leaned over and hollered in my ear, "You know, some people would pay money for a ride like this!!"  We bounced and splashed, and I thought about the many wonders God has done for our kids and about the many things He has planned that we can't even count.  I listened as my family belted out one of our favorite scripture songs from school, "The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof..." and observed the birds soar above a bait ball before diving in for breakfast.  I watched as one of our colleagues met us on the beach, drenched and salty, and provided a fresh press of coffee after I had just whispered to my husband how much I would love to drive through my favorite local coffee shop back in Arkansas.   Again as we bought some fresh fruits and veggies at market and one of Olivia's town based friends just happened to be there, too, the Lord whispered to my heart:  "Those wonders for your kids?  They will be too many to declare..."

No comments: