Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Orchestra Buddies

Donald Whitney says that "whether you realize it or not, everything you do is for eternity.  Nothing has an impact only on this life."  Every morning that we wake up with breath still in our chests is an opportunity to remember our upward call of God in Christ.  WE move forward in daily, incremental faithfulness because Christ has made us his own.  We belong to him, which means every ordinary day of perseverance belongs to him.
~Glenna Marshall, "Everyday Faithfulness"


I love watching God weave the tapestries of our lives.  When we began teaching orchestra twenty-five years ago, we had no idea of the amazing people that God would bring into our lives to add color and depth.


The Swanigan family attending church with us in Pine Bluff, the older two siblings we knew from growing up in orchestra and playing in All-Region and All-State.  The younger two siblings were in my high school orchestra the very first year I taught.


Then when I taught orchestra in Conway, I discovered a Swanigan kid in my middle school class, and he is a treasure, too!  This sibling set has spread out all over the country, but they all came together last weekend, and we just happened to be driving through NW Arkansas.  Spontaneously, they graciously invited us to take a quick bathroom break and to swing by and hug all those beautiful people.


Later in the same week, we reconnected with another orchestra and church friend.  Amanda, who now resides in California, studied in Aaron's cello studio and played in my very spunky and special 8th grade orchestra my first year of teaching.


She and her kids were heading north and our family was heading south on the same road, so we made time to catch up for a few short minutes.  Even though we no longer make music for our livelihoods, looking back at God's faithfulness always makes my jaw drop in awe as I look at the way He has crafted our stories.

 

No comments: