Thursday, September 23, 2010

Our first week in Brisbane



We arrived last Thursday night, and Benjamin's eye appointment was early Friday morning. The doctor said that Benjamin's vision is excellent but that depth perception has still not developed. We were disappointed yet thankful that he sees so well. Saturday, our good friend Karen came down and helped us shop the second hand stores for clothes nice enough to wear to a Queensland Symphony concert. That evening, Aaron and I attended an amazing concert. I cried most of the way through the first half. The first time I've worn makeup in over two years, and I had mascara streaming down my face.
Sunday, we hopped some buses and a train up to the Buderim Ginger Factory. We're getting pretty good at running from one connection to another and making good use of our time on public transportation. (I think the picture looks like a Sonlight commercial!)

We enjoyed learning how ginger grows and is harvested, then we crossed the street and observed a macadamia nut factory. Then Karen and her mom picked us up and drove us to their home so we could spend time with their precious family. I love having friends all over the world!

Monday morning dawned cold and rainy. We had planned to go strawberry picking, but instead we headed to a local mall to do some shopping for our house in the village. Then, we returned to the flat in Brisbane. Tuesday morning, another doctor's appointment and another cool, rainy day. Every around us has been apologizing for the weather, but we are loving it! It's cool enough to snuggle up in a quilt and read books and to drink lots of hot chocolate.

Wednesday morning, I had an eye appointment and learned that it's almost time to get bifocals, Thursday was the morning for fasting and blood work, and this morning, I had loads of dental work done. Tonight, we will celebrate Katherine's third birthday with friends who are flying in this evening - perfect timing! It's hard to pick a favorite part of the trip so far, but I think it just may be eating strawberries and broccoli every day.

5 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Praying for your appointments, time to just rest and relax and enjoy life as a family! I had forgotten about the ginger factory- I visited there the summer after Shawn and I were married on a mission trip:)
Blessings,
gayly

Kecia said...

Fun reading--and you should send that picture to Sonlight!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of you and Aaron! You both look terrific. It actually made me tear up a bit myself when you spoke of your reaction to the concert, too. Love you guys and so grateful that you're getting this well-deserved break (albeit chock full of doctor's appointments).

Liss

The Hibbard Family said...

I got tears in my eyes at the thought of y'all being able to enjoy some cool weather! We've been praying daily for your trip and will keep it up. Love y'all!

The dB family said...

Lol! I thought the same thing when I saw that photo. I agree with Kecia, you should send it in to Sonlight!

Love and prayers!
Deborah