Monday, September 24, 2012

Texas Woman's Daybook



Just for today...Monday, September 24

Outside my window...the windchimes are going crazy in this wind, and it still feels like summer with our mid-90s

I am thinking...about sin.  Not a pretty topic.  But last week's sermon in Arkansas, this week's sermon in Texas, and my weekly Bible study have all dealt with recognizing sin in our life and dealing with it.  

 A heart of thanksgiving...for my precious five-year-old daughter.  We celebrate her birth today!
  This is her first time she's enjoyed a birthday in America.  Her first birthday we celebrated in Papua New Guinea, her second we were in Marulaon Village in the Solomons, her third we were in Brisbane, Australia, last year we were in Honiara, Solomon Islands.  

Katherine only a few days old

I am wearing...a denim skort and a red t-shirt, and a little garnet and freshwater pearl pendant that Aaron gave me for our first Christmas as a married couple

Some of my favorite things...Cinnamon Roast Almonds, Via Pumpkin Spice Flavored Coffee, and Pumpkin Spice Scripture Tea.  Even though it still feels like summer outside, inside our house, it feels like fall!

From the kitchen...hummingbird cake for Katherine's birthday.



In the learning rooms...Benjamin begins Teaching Textbooks 7 for math this week, and he is so excited!  

Noticing that...birthdays are more fun with friends and family to help you celebrate


Something I want to remember for later...Olivia trying to convince me that she needed to buy Katherine two books instead of one, even though I kept telling her that two books meant twice as much money.  Olivia's response?  "But I like Katherine!"

A few plans for the rest of the week...taking my mom to the airport this afternoon, the kids have choir rehearsal tonight, so Aaron and I (and our five-year-old chaperone) will have our planning date for the week, tomorrow night I have Bible study at the church, Wednesday night is normal activities at church, Thursday we have company coming to celebrate a birthday, Friday we get to help out with a Wycliffe dessert night focused on the Pacific (if you are in the area join us!), and Saturday the kids have a Southwest Children's Chorus get-together


A peek into my corner of the world...


4 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

happy birthday sweet girl!
Looks like you all have a busy week ahead!

LISA said...

Happy Birthday Katherine!
I love Hummingbird Cake, but I haven't had one in a really long time. Maybe I'll make that for Sunday supper this week. We had a nice cool morning yesterday, but we are back to Summer today.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Happy Birthday, Katherine!

And what is hummingbird cake?

Julie G

Choate Family said...

Julie,
Hummingbird cake has banana, pecans and pineapple in it, so it's kind of like a glorified banana cake. And the cream cheese icing with pecans makes it even better :-) I wonder if Hummingbird cake is a Southern thing?
Joanna