Thursday, July 16, 2020

On my bookshelf...


I'm trying to set aside a few minutes each day to read for pleasure (some days I'm more successful than others).  Like every other area of my life, "slow and steady wins the race" applies to book reading, too!  I just finished soaking up two books:


1) "Stir: My Broken Brain and the Meals That Brought Me Home" by Jessica Fechtor.  A fascinating food memoir with recipes.  I kept sending Sarah quotes like this one:  "Food has powers.  It picks us up from our lonely corners and sits us back down, together.  It pulls us out of ourselves, to the kitchen, to the table, to the diner down the block.  At the same time, it draws us inward.  Food is the keeper of our memories, connecting us with our pasts and with our people."

2)  "Glorious Weakness: Discovering God in All We Lack" by Alia Joy.  Living in the Solomon Islands certainly highlights my weaknesses.  Here is one of my favorite quotes from this book: "So often we've been trained to have all the right answers and be ready with a verse, or a quote, or an uplifting anecdote that we forget that sometimes the ministry of burden bearing goes further than advice we toss out from a distance and instead means some heavy lifting."

No comments: