Thursday, January 29, 2009

Creative Kids


I think every homeschool mom has days when she wonders if her kids are absorbing information. Lately, I've been convicted about fostering my children's God-given creativity. Creativity usually equals BIG MESS. And here in the Solomon Islands, I'm kinda stingy with our craft supplies. Anyway, as part of our Science we've been reading a wonderful book, "Diary of an Early American Boy". Early in the book, we read about the different kinds of ladders that might have been around in 1805. Nothing terribly exciting. Yesterday at lunch, Benjamin started playing with his food, and just as I was about to reprimand him, he exclaimed, "Look, Mom, I made a ladder like Noah Blake's!" Sure enough, he had carved his carrot into the shape of one of the ladders we had studied three weeks ago. I'm so thankful that my kids don't need lots of glue sticks and construction paper to exercise their creativity. I think they are doing just fine.

2 comments:

The Hibbard Family said...

Thank you, my friend. That was encouraging to me.

And yes, you bet we'll make you broccoli cheese soup! :-)

Anonymous said...

Tell Benjamin that I love his ladder...he is very creative and I am thankful he has parents that foster that in the kids.
Hope all is well with each of you.
It is still very cold and gray here.

Love and hugs and kisses...prayers above all.
Nahna