Monday, January 5, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook




Monday, January 5, 2008



Outside my window...the stars are disappearing but the boats in the harbour still have their lights on.



I am thinking...about this quote from Martin Luther found on my calendar today. "There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion, or company than a good marriage."



I am thankful for...a husband who can fix almost anything. Last night, the kids knocked my favorite earrings off the sink into the floor where they got crushed by the bathroom door. My sweet knight in shining armor repaired them so they look good as new!




From the learning rooms...a short unit on Canada. I'm so excited that we have a Canadian family living here! They've loaned us some fun books and promised to teach us recipes and songs.



From the kitchen...cinnamon-topped oatmeal muffins (from More-With-Less) and yogurt




I am wearing...cotton pajamas, sunfaded turquoise tank top and floral shorts



I am creating...a Pijin language learning plan: Listening to radio skeds this week, transcribing custom stories heard on the radio, following along in the Pijin Bible as I listen to the audio (with dictionary in hand and finger hovering over the pause button!), practicing speaking with the staff here, reading Pijin Bible stories out loud to the children...




I am going...to tickle Olivia when I finish writing this post (she's in the kitchen fixing her coffee)




I am reading..."Sweet Horizons: A History of the Solomon Islands" by Ian MacNeill (still)




I am hoping...that my hubby has favor with the officials at the wharf today and can retrieve our crate!



I am hearing...the roosters greeting the day, the coffee perculating in our cute little pot on the stove, Olivia's little feet padding down the hall (way too early!), Benjamin coughing



Around the house...curtains being opened to let in the morning freshness, the promise of a new day ahead to spend wisely, sleepy faces slowly emerging



One of my favorite things...a good night's sleep



A few plans for the rest of the week: Three "Where in Honiara...?" field trips this week, a "Three Kings" celebrations planned with neighbors for tomorrow (complete with baby Jesus hiding in the cake if we get our crate)


Here is picture thought I am sharing...

Is there anything sweeter?
Enjoy connecting with other women around the globe at Peggy's.

4 comments:

Christy said...

This looks like an interesting meme to try. I may join along!

Anonymous said...

This baby girl is growing too fast to suit her Nahna. Maybe a trip will have to be sooner than 2010. I love you all.

quilt'n-mama said...

I love the picture of your sweet girl!!!! We miss you guys and love seeing a small glimpse into your world today!
Hugs to you my friend and lots of prayers today. These crazy early mornings with the kids give me moments to do so!
Love you guys!
Gayly for the crew

Anonymous said...

Joanna, your plan to learn Solomenese Pijin eerily sounds like something I would have come up with;) I'm trying to learn Pijin from my home here in Kentucky. I have found a few (online) language resources here and there which is enough for starters. I would be psyched to find an ONLINE Pijin radio station (if you know of any, would you let me know?). Blessings!