Monday, September 21, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook


Peggy hosts this lovely blog visited by women around the world


For today...Monday, September 21

Outside my window...the morning sun is casting a big, beautiful shadow of a palm tree on the hill in front of me

I am thinking...about how much I miss my family and friends. We've been on this side of the ocean for a little over a year, and I long to be able to bring meals to new moms, help out with hospital stays, ring handbells side by side, and just "share life" with many precious people.

From the learning rooms...History - still WWII, Sarah - studying parts of a plot and writing a short story, learning about the sum of angles in a triangle, Benjamin - reviewing compound words, writing a "quilt poem", and comparing fractions, Olivia - reviewing synonyms, writing a creative story from a picture, introducing fractions (halves & quarters) & telling time, Katherine - just celebrating her 2nd birthday, Fine Arts - changing our artist (Norman Rockwell) and composer (Duke Ellington) this week as we begin our last nine weeks of American History, Science - still exploring the joys of the microscope, PE - swimming lessons

I am thankful for...hot water piped into the house when we are in Honiara

From the kitchen...baked French toast to sweeten our morning, leftovers again for lunch, and tacos with tortillas made by Sarah to finish off our day

I am wearing...khaki skirt, green sleeveless shirt with eyelet cut out of the neckline (a sweet gift from my mother-in-law)

I am reading..."A Garden of Friends" by Penny Pierce Rose, a thoughtful pick-me-up from a friend in Memphis

I am hoping...that the boxes with the rest of our new curriculum will come soon!

I am hearing...kids grabbing their piano books and going out the door to the Educational Resource Center to practice

Around the house...beans soaking for chili tomorrow, well-done handwriting samples hanging next to diagrams of bone cross-sections drawn in bright colors, leaf cookie cutters hiding out until tomorrow to help us celebrate the beginning of autumn

One of my favorite things...reading a good book together as a family (right now, it's "The Winged Watchman")

A few plans for the rest of the week...a farewell morning tea this morning for a couple of Wycliffe Associates leaving tomorrow, Sarah's writing club on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, swimming lessons every morning at the other end of town

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...


yummy funnel cake that we made a few days ago from a mix sent by some dear friends

5 comments:

Nahna said...

THanks for sharing not just your thoughts, but your heart. I love you.

Michelle said...

What a great daybook! I enjoyed my visit.

Have a great week.

Ruthanne said...

I'm curious ~ how much reading would you require of a 1st grader? Take a long story for example - would you have him read it in one day or spread it out over a couple of days?

Also, how about writing for a 5th grader? Is a page too much or not enough?

John and Lisa said...

Beautiful! I can envision your lovely family and home just from your words. Thank you for sharing today.

Jennifer said...

That funnel cake looks so yummy! We may have to make some this weekend. :)

I didn't know you played handbells! My dad was the handbell director at First Baptist Conway all through my elementary and junior high years, and I have such wonderful memories of playing there over the years! I was just thinking the other day how much I wish our church here had handbells. Maybe someday!

Enjoyed your Daybook this week as always!