Monday, January 11, 2010

Honiara Simple Woman's Daybook


Please visit Peggy to peruse the other daybooks from around the globe.

FOR TODAY...Monday, January 11

Outside my window...still dark, the sun rises 30 minutes later here than it does in Marulaon

I am thinking...how nice it is to post links again and to actually be able to see what I'm posting on the blog. That technology enables me to send words and pictures through the radio waves so that people around the world can see them...wow, I'm blown away!

I am thankful for...frozen broccoli and frozen berries - my two big splurges while grocery shopping this week.
I am wearing...khaki skirt, green sleeveless knit shirt, shell hoops in my ears

I am remembering...thirteen years ago this week, my beloved asked me to marry him

I am going...to pick up a friend from the airport tomorrow, on a date with my husband later this week to commemorate our "proposal-versary"

I am currently reading..."A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Any Carmichael " by Elisabeth Elliot, and still enjoying tiny, slow bites from "The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer"

I am hoping...and praying that my back heals quickly. Gathering large stones, balancing in a canoe, and hauling lots of buckets of water have left me with lower back pain for several weeks now, so I'm having to slow down (a very good thing)

On my mind...missing my friend, Joy. I've been trying to set the table with 7 plates instead of 6. Our house is so empty without her. You can see the Solomons through her eyes here.

Noticing that...I'm craving color and beauty. You would think that living in a tropical paradise would sate my eyes, but I've found so many treats of color lately that have just delighted me!

Pondering these words..."Satan is so much more in earnest than we are -- he buys up the opportunity while we are wondering how much it will cost." Amy Carmichael

From the kitchen...cinnamon apple pancakes (discovered in a care package from this sweet friend), leftovers for lunch, chili for supper (yes, I know it's hot here, but it IS January, and we like to pretend that we have seasons around here)

Around the house...still some unpacking to do, rearranging furniture to make this SITAG house feel like home

One of my favorite things...early morning two year old bed head, complete with bangs she created while leaning over the candle-lit Advent wreath

From my picture journal...


these beautiful hand-beaded spoons are helping bring a little girl from China to her new loving home in America, we use our spoons every day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely list. I enjoyed reading your post very much.

Blessings!
Joyce Marie

The dB family said...

I so enjoy reading your Simple Woman lists! Congratulations on your proposal-versary!

Do you go back to the same house each time on Marulaon, or do you live in a different place each time you return?

Blessings!
Deborah

Choate Family said...

Deborah,
We have our own house in Marulaon. It was mostly built by a translation team that came before us, and we are so thankful for it!

When we come back to Honiara, we are assigned whatever house is available at that time.

Joanna

Kelly said...

My dear , read the blog -Meditation from the Cardinal Nest - by Ruth !
http://meditationsfromthecardinalsnest.blogspot.com
At January 7 post ,you will see one amazing story about one amazing sister .She`s looking for founds to feed some hungryes childrens .
I just thinking how i can realy help !??
I pray that Joy For All will minister to it's visitors
and will encourage and bless everyone in some way.
We can identify with the disciples. At times, we have
a tendency to focus on the things that are going on around us instead of the One that is in control of all things. When that happens, reality may seem overwhelming, and the problems appear unsolvable. However, we must realize to be fearful
is to lack faith in God and in His provision for us. True faith focuses on God, not on the things that are happening.
Psalm 139:11-12
If I say, surely the darkness shall fall on me,
Even the night shall be light about me.
Indeed, the darkness shall not hide
from You, but the night shines as the day,
the darkness and the light are both
a like to You.
in Jesus love >>

quilt'n-mama said...

I am so glad the spoons made it to you. I fell in love with them and thought they would look beautiful in your tea cups each morning! We use ours too.
It's so fun catching up, we are loving learning about island life from your blog and from Joy's!
I'll be in touch more with you soon.
Hugs and prayers my friend,
Gayly