Monday, January 17, 2011

Honiara Woman's Daybook

For Today...Monday, January 17 (begun Sunday evening, knowing that Monday would be busy)


Outside my window...an afternoon SITAG kids' basketball game, clothes drying on the line


I am thinking...about memorizing the book of Colossians this year along with hundreds of others. Care to join me?


I am wearing...a long white twirly skirt, a brown and white sleeveless top from my mom, coconut shell clip keeping my hair up, and a rosewood bracelet inlaid with shell that will soon become a blog giveaway


I am praying for...the people affected by the flooding in Australia


I am going...to say "yes" to my children more this week. Yes, you may paint. Yes, you may create a new recipe in the kitchen. Yes, I will read you a book right now.


From the learning rooms...beginning to have fun with the five senses, continuing Africa, Benjamin adding and subtracting fractions, chugging on to finish Sonlight Cores 5 and K in just a few weeks


I am thankful for...God's abundant grace.


I am remembering...Martin Luther King, Jr. and reading this book to the kids


From the kitchen...some new 7-grain mix that has recently shown up in Honiara (we call it birdseed) for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, and tuna bread braid for supper. However, if it continues to be so hot, I'm not turning on the oven, and we'll just have tuna salad!


I am reading..."Mind in the Making" by Ellen Galinsky


I am hoping...that the internet connection will be more consistent this week


I am creating...meal plans from the new recipes Sarah and I are discovering together.


On my mind...John Piper's newest book "Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God" and the Rebelution's blog post about "Reading as Thinking"


Noticing that...cutting back to drinking coffee only on the weekends gives me a nasty headache on Monday morning.


Pondering these words..."The people to whom we minister and speak will not recall 99 percent of what we say to them. But they will never forget the kind of persons we are....The quality of our souls will indelibly touch others for good or for ill. So we must never forget that the most important thing happening at any moment, in the midst of our all our ministerial duties, is the kind of person we are becoming. God is greatly concerned with the quality of character we are building. The future he has planned for us will be built on the strength of character we forge by his grace." from "Personal Soul Care" by Dallas Willard


I am hearing...the neighbor's phone ringing, the clock ticking, the ceiling fan on high (oh, how I love the ceiling fans!)


Around the house...paper chains of African animals that the kids cut out, pineapple tops waiting to be planted


One of my favorite things...coming in all hot and sweaty from my morning run and taking a shower with peppermint body wash. What a treat!


A few plans for the rest of the week...making a couple of airport runs for SITAG folks, finalizing orders from the States so they can get here before we leave for Marulaon, a going away party for a WA couple, company Tuesday and Friday, market shopping with a friend on Wednesday


Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you... posting from Aaron's computer because he has the internet connection, so the picture will have to come later.

4 comments:

Doug Hibbard said...

Wish we had heard about the Colossians in a year before we started on trying to do Philippians before Easter!

quilt'n-mama said...

I've thought about joining the Colossians group too... Let me know what you decide:)

quilt'n-mama said...

I went back today through your posts from the village. Wow, you have added so many pictures there. Thank you for sharing your life with us through pictures friend!

The dB family said...

Joanna, I have so many thoughts and questions after reading this post. I'm so glad you share with us in this way. Will you let us know how the Martin Luther book is. I've looked at it before and thought it looked like a good one to read as a family.

Blessings!
Deborah