Wednesday, August 8, 2018

A Singular Gift

"What I in my weakness see as another monotonous day in a string of days, God has given as a singular gift."  ~Tish Harrison Warren, "Liturgy of the Ordinary"


Oh, this sweet week with plenty of errands and very little routine after a summer of super busy.  I recently discovered "The Workers Prayer" by the Gettys, and it's been on repeat for several days now as the words percolate down into my heart and mind.  We have less than a week as a family of six, and last night God gave us the unexpected gift of rain and play.  


Rain is always a precious gift when we are in the village.  It fills our water tanks and give us refreshing coolness.  Often the kids go out and play and get soaked.  We always make hot chocolate (even in the heat and humidity of the tropics!) when it rains, and the whole event becomes special.  Last night brought back memories of village life.  The kids were giddy and ran outside to splash in the puddles.  They opened their mouths wide and drank in the rain.  And I ran inside to dig up my mama's hot chocolate recipe that has hardly been used since we came back to life in America where you can just turn on the faucet any time you want water.  I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know it will be a singular gift from the Lord, and I plan to enjoy it to the fullest.

Mama's Hot Chocolate

1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1/3 cup hot water
4 cups milk
dash salt
3/4 tsp vanilla 
(and any other flavoring you'd like!)

Mix sugar, cocoa, and salt in a saucepan; stir in water.  Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils.  Boil and stir constantly for two minutes.  Whisk in milk and heat through, but do not boil.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Our family likes to add mint extract as well.

No comments: