Sunday, December 2, 2018

Advent and Humility

"Pride convinces us that we are stronger and more capable than we actually are.  Pride convinces us that we must do and be more than we are able.  And when we try, we find ourselves feeling "thin, sort of stretched...like butter that has been scraped over too much bread." (Tolkein)  We begin to fall apart physically, emotionally, and spiritually for the simple reason that we are not existing as we were meant to exist."  ~Hannah Anderson, "Humble Roots"


For the last couple of months, I've been running up against the concept of pride like a brick wall in my life.  Repeatedly, the Lord has shown me through books and conversations and daily examples that I'm full of this nasty poison.  

For example, when we stayed in a hotel during our time at JBU a few weeks ago, we thankfully utilized the gym.  The girls had planned to exercise with us, too.  When I saw the sign saying that no one under 18 was permitted to use the equipment, my first thought was, "Olivia knows how to exercise wisely.  She comes to the gym with me all the time at home.  And she's almost 18.  It's no big deal, she can still come use the machines."  Wow.  Then it hit me that I was being prideful.  Assuming that I was better than the regulations that had been set up for protection of the establishment and for me.  (We did ask for permission at the desk, and they gladly gave it.)

So, during Advent, I'm setting aside some extra time to ponder pride and humility in light of the Christmas story and in my own life.  I would love for you to join me and to open a conversation of what this might look like in our lives over the next several weeks.

1 comment:

Edi said...

Joanna. Thank you for being so transparent. This exposes in me those thoughts of "I know best" too!